Angels and Wife Worship

Okay, that's a slightly misleading heading, but it stands.

While I'm in a sing-songy mood, I think I'll publish the lyrics to a piece I wrote for my wife and sang to her at our wedding reception. Thanks to my amazing friend Kate for accompanying me with what was a fairly complex and very poorly organized piano part. I can't play the piano, and so I'm not much good at writing for it. But it sounded beautiful, so good job, if you ever read this.

This is entitled "Where the Angel Flies" and I'm still not really satisfied with it, but you're not allowed to criticize it because it has personal meaning and I was in a very emotional state when I wrote it so you'll crush my self confidence unless you give it lavishly undeserved praise. :)  Just kidding.

Oh yeah. This won't make sense unless you know that my wife's name is Noel. And each line pretty much rhymes, but I haven't always written it out that way because I don't like to look at it like that. I'm sure you'll find the rhymes if you want to. And it also has bad grammar, just like that last one, but that's a songwriter's prerogative, isn't it?


I saw an angel fly from the heavens to the earth.
On he flew through the night to proclaim a holy birth to the few where they lay.
They were blessed to hear him say the glad news he proclaimed in the glory of your name.
And the choir filled the air: "He has come your sins to bear! Him receive!"
I believe that you and I were there.

Now he moves on, space and time leaving in his upward climb
To a place and a day when the world in error lay.
Hear his voice from the sky.
He declares for you and I the true way to be free - to be one eternally.
Hear his maker proclaim, "Build a house unto my name.
And therein there shall be an altar unto me."

This day have knelt you and I 'cross that altar in the sky
Hand in hand to agree upon one eternity.
Now the angel looks on seeing what his work has done
And he's speaking to me of the life that is to be.
Felt such joy and I cried, "Is it lawful?"
He replied, "For this purpose men are. Now heaven isn't far."

Here I receive through covenant you, and you I - where the angel flies.

Now you and I upward fly to the place where he has lead.
He leads on through the dawn that begins to raise the dead.
And the next time he sounds his great trumpet, long and loud
I will rise from my place to be with you in the cloud.
And the next time he sounds his great trumpet long and loud
I will wake from my rest to be with you in the cloud.

Comments

Popular Posts