Lots of Reviews Coming

As if you didn't have enough reason to sit on the edge of your seats frantically refreshing your screens every two seconds and checking your RSS readers every five in anticipation of what my next words might be - as I know you're doing right this moment - I'm writing this post to announce several exciting book and movie reviews that will shortly be appearing on this site. Gasp! Cheer! Swoon! Applaud!

Okay, maybe you're not that excited, but you should be because now that I'm out of school I'm going to really turn my attention to developing certain things, among which are my blogging standards and content. I'm going to return much more frequently (I hope) to Toward an LDS Cinema, starting with my interview with Ryan Spelts, sales manager at Living Scriptures and personal friend. I have lots of other interesting things planned as well. Hopefully that site will see a return to scholarship soon, and be less of an updater or hobbyist's blog. Speaking of which, does anyone know what happened to Trevor or Benjamin? I've been so alone for so long...

But here I'm stepping things up as well. I'm going to be featuring more of my own art as it develops and delving into some doctrinal explorations similar to my post on the joy of the saints and my early post on the beauty of the work of our own hands, which in my opinion are two of my very best.

But first I'm going to post some book and movie reviews. Partially that's because I've loved both the writing of and the response to some of my other reviews, notably the review of What the Dickens and the infamous Harry Potter post that nearly lost me a lifelong friend. Thanks for sticking with me, Tori.

:)

So here's what's up on the docket for now, reviews and otherwise as it relates to film and writing, in no particular order:

Veil of Darkness by Greg Park - This is in fulfillment of a commitment to my brother Jake to give this book a shot and issue my opinions forthwith. The novel is rife with Mormonism and I hope to explore some of that as well as other issues. I'll probably get this one up first.

Various works of Miyazaki - I'm going to take a look at Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, and maybe Spirited Away. The idea is to consider the influence of these animated films on my own sensibilities and to explore common themes and other elements.

Joe Versus the Volcano - Looking into the depths of what is too often passed over as a stupid, shallow film, and doing it in a Mormon context. I probably will post this one on TLDSC.

Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven - How commonalities and differences in the two films affect their meanings.

Twilight and New Moon - I haven't decided for sure if I want to do this one. I have neither read the books nor seen the movies, but I may take Tyler up on his invitation to do one or the other and work up an essay on it. If I do, I'll submit it to his study on Reading Until Dawn, and post a link here if Tyler accepts it.

Also look for a link to a paper I've written for Brent Leavitt's Sun Swing Studies, whenever he in his own time and wisdom decides to publish it. It's an exploration of concepts of moral leadership in media production based on a Mormon Times article from some time ago about Mark Mabry's Reflections of Christ exhibit.

Also, I may or may not tackle Mormon elements in Mistborn and Leven Thumps as I've now finished both series.

So stay tuned!

Comments

Th. said…
.

Get busy.

At the risk of sounding cynical, I'm especially interested in hearing the LS guy justify himself.
necrodancer said…
I'm looking forward to this. Well, most of it anyway. Although there is little on which to base my feelings, I haven't any interest in Twilight or New Moon.
Tyler said…
I'm looking forward to your Twilight insights. Hop on that, would ya?
Th.,

That bug-eyed post was actually the impetus for my asking Ryan for an interview. I referred him to it as part of a discussion about product targeting and he had an interesting reaction. Keep in mind that he's a more a businessman than a theoretician, but I think you'll be able to appreciate what he says, even if you don't agree with it.

ND,

Thanks! Yes, I'm still struggling with taking the plunge into the realm of teen Mormon vampire romance. Just that combination of words should be enough to summarize why I'm hesitant. I mean, really?

Tyler,

Having said the above, you're probably going to win me over in the end. There has just been too much good discussion and evidence of value in such for me to ignore it much longer. I've wanted to comment on many things, but until I know what I'm talking about...well, you know. I'd like to be responsible enough to have some idea of the material before getting involved. Sigh. You're slowly but steadily drawing me to the dark side.

Popular Posts