A Definition of Wisdom

King Mosiah is dying. None of his sons want the kingdom. He remembers (I'm sure) these words of Nephi:

And it came to pass that they would that I should be their king. But I, Nephi, was desirous that they should have no king; nevertheless, I did for them according to that which was in my power.
(2 Ne. 5:18)

Mosiah knows that it is not good to esteem one flesh above another. So instead of a problem, he sees an opportunity: get rid of the kingdom altogether. Establish judges, like in ancient Israel. Let the people be self-governing. Let them collectively determine their future as a people. Can individuals still have influence? Sure. But can any individual have too much power? Or too much accountability? Not if things work the right way. That's the point. I wonder sometimes how long the Nephites would have lasted if they'd stuck with a monarchy.

Anyway, Mosiah speaks to his people. He tells them what he intends to do. It's sort of ironic that he has to command them, as a king, not to have any more kings. He couldn't have gotten away with that if he'd been less of a man. In doing so, he gives us a definition of wisdom that is among the most useful I know:

And now let us be wise and look forward to these things, and do that which will make for the peace of this people.
(Mosiah 29:10)

Comments

Popular Posts