Three Nephites Ascendant


You have to click on it to see the whole thing.

I sketched this in pencil on a stiff yellow notebook divider in high school (I used Photoshop to get rid of all the smudges caused by the years and turn in red and white). I had it in the background on this site for a while (which is why I made it red) but it was annoying to me - it got in the way of reading. But I like it, so I thought I'd post it and see what you think. I'm thinking about doing something with it to add a bit more realism (like color, for example, and texture) but I'm not sure. I actually really liked it better yellow and brownish-black, but that's probably sentimental. The original also has this handwritten subscription from 3 Nephi: "...and they were caught up into heaven, and saw and heard unspeakable things. "

I'm not pretending it's great art or anything, but it does have personal meaning for me. What do you say?

Comments

Jacob said…
I like it. Although the style is different, it reminds me of the way Rembrandt would quickly sketch out various scenes in pen. He turned out quite detailed sketches in just a few minutes. The style in which you have depicted this event (somewhat medieval Christian, while at the same time almost reminiscent of some comic book style art) is very interesting. Additionally, it almost seems like a conceptual sketch for a larger painting. Anyway, I like it. Thanks for sharing, and happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks, Jake. I think your description of my style is more interesting than the picture itself. I like the Medieval Christian/Comic Book fusion style. :)

If I remember correctly, it may have been a sketch of something I daydreamed about doing on a larger scale. I'll have to show you the original sometime.
Jacob said…
I'd love to see it. Thanks again for sharing - you have a lot of talent in a lot of areas. More importantly, however, you put them to worthy use. Thanks for being a great example!

Popular Posts