The Religion of Practical Living

In speaking of the apostle John's teachings, James E. Talmage wrote the following:

The spirit of his demands was that of a practical religion, the only religion of any possible worth - the religion of right living. (Jesus the Christ, p. 123)

When, as a missionary, I first read these words, they struck a real chord with me. Suddenly, my beliefs didn't have to be geared exclusively towards some vast, eternal, unknown and unknowable end. The things I practiced daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly had a definite, immediate purpose. I had never before considered that faith - that religion - could be practical.

I always thought of my faith as transcendent of or somehow disconnected with the logical human experience. I thought that spiritual life was supposed to be somehow apart from earthly life - not in the sense that it wasn't worldly, but in the sense that it was wholly unrelated to earthly affairs. Consequently, I had struggled as a missionary to help others see why they should accept the gospel. I couldn't teach them of any benefit they could identify with, except perhaps on the principle of tithing. I guess that was the discrepancy in my religious viewpoint.

These words of Elder Talmage's, however, freed me. I saw for the first time that religion is a way of life. I've always known that intellectually, but for the first time I defined "life" as both earthly and eternal, continuing unbroken from one to the next. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that I saw religion as a way of existence, since life may have its interruptions from time to time. Either way, I understood that my actions were not separable into "religious" and "non-religious" activities, but that they were simply "the works done in the flesh" and they had consequences that logically and naturally extended from them based upon reasonable and eternal principles. In other words, I buy food at the store so that I can eat. I want to eat because if I don't, I die. I go to school so that I can learn. I want to learn because I want to be a better person. I go to work so I can earn money. I want to earn money so that I can live a better life and support my family. So far, practical, right? I understand how the world works and what I need to do to be successful in it. That's practicality.

But the "religious" reasons are the same, because they come from a correct understanding of how the eternities work. In other words, I get baptized so that I can enter God's kingdom. I want to enter God's kingdom because life is better there than outside of it. I read the scriptures and pray so that I can learn God's word and will. I want to know God's word and will because I don't want to break either - to do so would bring negative consequences, just like breaking earthly law would. I partake of saving ordinances so I can be saved. I want to be saved so that I can live a better life and support my family - my eternal family. That's practicality.

But this applies to earthly concerns as well. I love others because they are my comrades in mortality. By loving them, we can all be happier. Working together, life is better. That's how it works. It makes sense. We're chaste before marriage and faithful after because if not, life can get really complicated really quickly. There are emotional, financial, and health problems that can arise from violation of this principle, just to name a few. "Because God said so" is a good reason, but there are other reasons as well, and they make sense.

From this perspective, reason becomes a wonderful means of acquiring truth. Life becomes practical even in the eternities. Now and forever, we do what we do so that we can create the best possible consequences for ourselves and others. This is the way in which practical religion is of worth - indeed, the only religion of worth. It follows the rules.

When I learned this, I realized that I didn't have to have a reason for every action that would cause the whole Gospel Doctrine class to marvel at my spirituality. I had to look to the natural consequences of my actions and make appropriate decisions. The thing about this life to be transcended are the philosophies and attractions, the passing glory and the ensnaring concerns. The things to be embraced and understood are the rules and the opportunities with their consequences, however long lasting. Only by doing these things can we really do what God intends, which is to live with each other, and not just in the same general area, to be in the world, but not be of it.


p.s. I'm not entirely satisfied with this post, but since I'm not sure why, I'll post it anyway. Maybe you can help me by telling me what you think. Thanks.

Comments

Popular Posts