Unexpected Forms of the Holy Spirit

 


Most of the time the Spirit is depicted as a dove, but apparently a seagull can have the same effect.

I was shooting with my photography class on the roof of the school parking garage, and some seagulls were flying around, eating things people had left behind from lunch. My camera was not well suited to photographing small, distant, moving subjects, but I thought, "why not try?" Last night as I was scanning my negatives, I saw this photo and immediately thought of Matthew 3: 

    "And lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting upon Jesus."

I guess "like a dove" doesn't require that it actually be a dove.

Shot with a Kodak Stereo Camera on Ilford HP5 Plus in Ogden, UT.  This photo is one half of a stereo pair.

Comments

Th. said…
.

I love this image.

Popular Posts