A Picture of Me that I Actually Like

 

A photo of me crouching on some steps, photographing my son.

Here's a rare thing! I don't know how long it's been since someone has taken a photo of me that I like very much, but it's definitely been a while. My dad captured this image while we were out shooting together last Friday. I was testing that little Kodak Stereo Camera I mentioned the other day, and he had his Nikon D300 (I think). 

We had intended to go to Gilgal sculpture garden, a truly unique little hidden spot in Salt Lake City, but it was closed (despite what the website said). So we went over to Memory Grove instead. We each shot a roll on the Kodak, and we used the Nikon on each other in the meantime. My dad taught me to use his old light meter, which he then gave to me (thanks, Dad!). Our main subject, apart from the landscape, was my seven-year-old son. I was photographing him in this shot, as he sat on a bench by some bushes. 

I'm taking the film in to be developed today, and I hope to be able to share the results soon. I'm very excited, and more than a little unsure about what to expect. Were there invisible lens defects? Unexpected light leaks? Am I as bad as I fear I am at calculating exposure? How often did I fail to focus properly? I can't wait to find out!

I'll give you more details when I have something to share, but in the meantime I just wanted to post this image and express my appreciation for my dad, on whom I blame my love of cameras, and for whom I give thanks all the time. I really enjoyed myself, and sharing this shoot across three generations of Figueira guys was really special. I hope my son remembers that day, and I hope the pictures turn out well enough to give him something to remember it by. 

Comments

Popular Posts