Privacy on the "New Internet."

I read an interesting article about the future of the internet. As much as I believe in maintaining a certain degree of privacy, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen to this issue in a community of omniscient beings, such as we might have in the eternities. Does that omniscience extend to others who have their own dominions separate from ours?

I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that such a community would of necessity be a virtuous one, unlike what we have today. Ultimate knowledge, in my opinion, cannot be gained or long retained without purity of character. Many of the issues that drive our concern for privacy wouldn't exist. I wonder if the knowledge that nothing could be hidden would not encourage more public virtue, as well as vice. Is this an idea we ought to embrace?

Comments

Th. said…
.

Um, that sounds like a mystery .
I think you misunderstood my question, Th. I guess I wasn't very clear.

I'm asking if we should embrace this concept of the "new internet" as discussed in the article. It thing makes me uneasy - you know, giving up freedom for security and all. But I was trying to see the principle from an eternal perspective, which is why I mentioned the other thing.

As far as the other thing goes, I remember an Apostle (Elder Holland or Elder Nelson) saying that we ought to go to bed at night pondering what life in the Celestial Kingdom might be like. He said that would give us strength for challenges ahead.

So I don't think that's an inappropriate line of thought, but it's not what I was asking about. What about that internet?

Popular Posts