Arnold Friberg


My job occasionally casts me into the paths of men and women of great accomplishment. July 10th was such a night. In running some equipment for the Days of '47 "Pioneers of Progress" awards dinner, I had the singular opportunity to be in the presence of a man whom I consider to be one of the most influential LDS painters of our time, Arnold Friberg.

I didn't meet him. I only heard him speak. At 95 years old, it wasn't easy for him. He said two things, however that I wanted to write down and comment on. He said many others that I wish I could remember. The first thing was about how he speaks.
He said that some people speak in the language of words, but he speaks in the language of paint. He said that since he forgot to bring his brushes with him that evening, he was having a hard time.

The second thing was about his painting Peace, be Still, shown above. About that, he said the following - paraphrased: In paintings of this scene today, you see a lot of waves. That's dramatic, but it isn't the story. The story isn't the storm, it's that a man stood up and said to the storm, "be still" and it obeyed.
About the first comment, isn't it marvelous how many ways there are to communicate? The Spirit speaks all verbal tongues, but also many other, more universal languages. It's interesting to me that a man with such a masterful command of the "language of paint," has such a hard time with something as common as ordinary speech. Interesting and understandable, I think.
On the second comment, Brother Friberg's words make me ask myself what the story of my life is. I also wonder what the Savior has been saying to me that I have, and have not, been obeying. I wonder if I get so caught up in drama, that I don't see what's really going on. Am I like the disciples in the ship: so terrified by the waves that I forget the nearness of the "master of ocean and earth and sky?" What waves am I experiencing that could be calmed by the Master's voice?
I think these and a great many other things when I think of what I heard that night. I thought those things were worth remembering and I hope some of you will share your reflections on the topics they uncover for you.

Comments

Popular Posts