A Different Prophecy

I was reading my scriptures this morning. I have a quad, and as I looked at it, I thought of an objection I sometimes heard in the mission field.

When some other Christians look at LDS scriptures, they see the realization of Revelation 22:18-19 which reads, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

I can understand that. However, when we look at our scriptures, we see the fulfillment of a different prophecy:

"Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand. (Ezekiel 37:19)"

Amazing how it all depends on your perspective. That illustrates the importance of the prophets, the gift of the Holy Ghost, Priesthood authority, and the gifts of the Spirit. Each of these witnesses give us personal access to knowledge of divine intent. In other words, we can know what God had in mind when he revealed these things to the prophets. It's the only way to get things right.

Comments

Jacob said…
Elder Holland's talk from the most recent conference addresses the issue of these verses in Revelation, and is a great treatise on the entire principle of modern/continuing revelation. You could say it's inspired. :)

Popular Posts