Morning Thoughts: More Than You Believe

This morning on the drive to work I was listening to this talk by Elder Clark C. Gilbert, which was one of the ones from this conference that I particularly loved. It's about becoming "more in Christ" by adjusting the slope of our lives heavenward. I'm supposed to be teaching an Elders Quorum lesson based on it next week. 

I love this talk because of the charitable attention it gives to those who have, as Elder Gilbert says, "difficult starting circumstances." He recognizes the need to address the inequality inherent in these circumstances, but balances that with a caution against letting any circumstance define you by dwelling too exclusively on it. He strikes a balance between empathy, social responsibility, and personal agency.

I also love that he calls upon the privileged to show some humility for their unearned blessings and reminds them that they too have a long way to go. 

As I listened, I was struck by a powerful impression: you are more than you believe. 

I had the distinct feeling that not only did I need this knowledge personally, but several members of the quorum needed it as well. I think this will be helpful in my lesson, and as I try to renegotiate the balance of my life due to changes and limitations necessitated by some health circumstances.

You are more than you believe. 

As I've pondered that message over the past hours, I've decided to make it my mantra. Like all of us, I play a lot of roles each day: father, husband, educator, employee, friend, minister, son, disciple, neighbor, artist, technician, stranger, and more. I've set a goal to ask myself in each role, "how can I be more than I believe in this moment?" Answering that will require me to gain an understanding of both what I am in each circumstance, and where I can go from there. It sounds like a soul-searching adventure. 

Here's to that.

Comments

Popular Posts