Souveniring

As a missionary in Arizona (Tempe mission) I tried never to spend a dime of my allotted funds that wasn't strictly necessary to my successful functioning in my calling. I could live on $8/wk. in food, plus a little more each month for personal sanitation. Once in a while I had to buy bike parts, and sometimes we bought the components of the stop-smoking kits we frequently gave to investigators. Other than that, expenses were rare, as the mission handled all rent and utility payments independently.

The upshot of all this is that in the course of my two years I never purchased a single souvenir. Not one. Granted, I didn't serve in an exotic location, (it was an hour flight from home) but I think I would have made the same decision if I had. These were the Lord's funds, not to be used for personal luxuries or remembrances beyond what I could accumulate without cost.

Despite this policy I still came home with some of the coolest souvenirs ever, all gratis, and to commemorate the kindness of the people who gave them to me, here's a little list.





1. A mini sandstone arch from the AZ desert.
2. A small plush snake I named Nate (my family might get that joke).
3. The skin of a real rattlesnake (legally caught) that I skinned, ate, preserved, and mounted under the guidance of a less active member.
4. A turquoise and silver ring given me by members of an Indian tribe I served with.
5. A name given me by the same tribe and a feather used in that ceremony.
6. A tie pin with the tribe's great seal (see picture).
7. Two handmade Indian blankets: a quilted one for me and a gorgeous one made of I-know-not-what as a thank-you to my mother for sending me.
8. A plethora of books.
9. A pitch pipe.
10. A pu'ohe (Hawaiian bamboo trumpet).

And a number of other small remembrances that pertain to cherished memories.

- a part of the mobile blogging experiment.

Location:N 690 W,Clinton,United States

Comments

GreenPhoenix said…
Those ARE some cool souvenirs, and to think that they were all free--amazing!

Popular Posts