Missionary Fun

For one reason or another, I've been remembering what is probably my funniest missionary memory. It testifies to the influence of media on childhood, the utter geekiness of the members of my district, and probably many other things. Here it is:

At roughly 6:30 AM on Preparation Day, the district was well into its weekly game of ultimate frisbee. The venue: Hohokam Park in Mesa, AZ. The teams: senior companions vs. junior companions, as usual. Also as usual, somebody threw the frisbee over the fence and into the canal. As the disc landed close enough to shore not to require more spectacular rescue efforts, Elder Taylor went to fetch it alone - although his companion could see him the whole way.

Out of nowhere, Elder Batson, the District Leader, struck a dramatic pose - his feet spread apart, his head back, and his right arm held out in front with clenched fist - and yelled "Earth!"

Not knowing exactly what he was up to, but sensing familiarity and following my instinct, I took my place across from him, imitating his position and shouting spontaneously, "Wind!"

By the time the next Elder roared "Fire!" I was beginning to suspect what was going on. Another missionary joined the growing circle and called out "Water!" But it wasn't until the remaining Elder on the field had cried "Heart!" that I realized where this strange ritual had come from.

As if it had been planned, Elder Taylor, utterly unseen in his approach, triumphantly appeared in the center of the circle, holding the dripping frisbee and declaring, "Your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Comments

Mr. said…
.

Just like missionaries only with even geekier uniforms!
GreenPhoenix said…
Ohm'goodness, how funny!

Popular Posts