Did Anyone Else Notice That?

I noticed something yesterday in church when the First Presidency letter regarding the Church's political position was read. In the past, it's always said that the Church is neutral and members should prayerfully vote for who they think is best. This time, I noticed what I though was a major addition. Instead of claiming neutrality, the Brethren actively asserted that candidates whose ideals are in harmony with the gospel can be found in "various political parties."

Wow. It seems to me that the prophets are trying to buck the mindless trend towards one party or another among Mormons. See this post for a great satirical commentary on this.

I tend to be quite conservative, for the record, and not because I thought all the prophets were Republicans, which isn't true. But my ears perked up at this change. I think the message is clear: do your own research and make your own prayerful and well-informed decision. Not that this message hasn't been there before. It just seems that the specific emphasis on political parties as opposed to ideas makes it more pointed.

Anybody else notice this?

Comments

Th. said…
.

I noticed it, but I couldn't remember if it was new.
It's the first time I've ever heard it, anyway.

I was thinking it may have been prompted by all the publicity the Romney campaign brought to politics in The Church as well as other similar factors. Plus, given Elder Ballard's recent-ish counsel about using the internet to spread the gospel and the increasing number of blogs and websites with political content owned or run by members, it was seemly for The Church to make its apartisan stance a bigger emphasis. In my opinion.
Anonymous said…
I'm with th. I noticed, but I doubted my memory.

Thanks for posting that link, too. Very funny. Very true. Very good points.

Popular Posts