For that Heavenly Cause

This is sort of a follow up to my post, The Depths Where it Glittering Lies. Please read that first, if you haven't. It's another quote from Brigham Young, and I'll let it speak for itself and leave it to your interpretation and discussion. Here it is:

Shall I sit down and read the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and the Book of Covenants all the time?” says one. Yes, if you please, and when you have done, you may be nothing but a sectarian after all. It is your duty to study to know everything upon the face of the earth, in addition to reading those books. We should not only study good, and its effects upon our race, but also evil, and its consequences… If I do not learn what is in the world, from first to last, somebody will be wiser than I am. I intend to know the whole of it, both good and bad. Shall I practice evil? No; neither have I told you to practice it, but to learn by the light of truth every principle there is in existence in the world… And inasmuch as the Lord Almighty has designed us to know all that is in the earth, both the good and the evil, and to learn not only what is in heaven, but what is in hell, you need not expect ever to get through learning. Though I mean to learn all that is in heaven, earth, and hell. Do I need to commit iniquity to do it? No. If I were to go into the bowels of hell to find out what is there, that does not make it necessary that I should commit one evil, or blaspheme in any way the name of my Maker.

Brigham Young JD 2:93-94 (1853)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Honestly, I think this is one of the most intriguing quotes I've ever read...
By all means, please continue.

Popular Posts